CHROMATOGRAPHIC STUDY AND BEHAVIOURAL STUDY OF KSHIRBALA TAILA
Keywords:Kshirbala taila, Rheumatoid arthritis, Chromatographic, Behavioural study, Sida cordifolia.
Kshirbala taila is a known Ayurvedic remedy for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Its basic physico-chemical evaluation profile is reported in Ayurvedic Pharamcopoiea of India. Detailed analysis was the objective of study. The formulation was prepared using Sida cordifolia roots, sesame oil and cow milk according to literature. The formulation was then subjected to various chemical investigations. Unsaponifiable matter was studied for preliminary phytochemical screening and chemoprofiling of expected phyto-constituents using chromatographic techniques. TLC confirmed presence of sesamin, b-sitosterol, lupeol and ephedrine presence. The pre and post treatment behavioral studies were also studied and reports revealed that pain induced stress symptoms are severe in untreated arthritic rats while treated rats show significantly less frequency of occurrence compared to negative control group.
2. Ayurvedic Formulary of India, Volume 1, Par II.
3. Agnivesh, (1987), Charaka Samhita, Published by chaukhambha Bharati academy, Varanasi 14th edition, Chikitsa Sthan – 29, p – 119 to 120.
4. Sharma P.V., (1994), Caraka Samhita (English translation). Chikitsa Sthana, Chapter 28. Delhi: Chaukhambia Orientalia.
5. Ras rasayan kalp, (1966), ‘Kshir bala tail’, Bhaishaj samhita, Prakran 1, p – 630.
6. Vagbhatt, (1992), ‘Kshirbala Taila’, Ashtanga Hridaya, Published by Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, 10th edition, Chikitsa sthan – 22, p – 45 to 46.
7. Sotnikova R., Ponist S., Navarova J., Mihalova D., Tomekova V., Strosova M., Bauerova K., (2009), ‘Effects of sesame oil in the model of adjuvant arthritis.’, Neuro Endocrinology Letter, vol. 30, Suppl 1, p – 22 to 24.
8. Rao V. N., Shankar T., Dixit S.K. and Ray A.B., (1996), ‘Standardisation of Ksheerabala Taila’, Ancient Science of life, Vol. 17, p – 21 to 25.
9. Alam M., Saraswathy V. N., Venugopalan T. N., Jaya N., Namboodiri P. K. N., Ramarao B., 1998, ‘Standardization studies on Kshirbala tailam.’ Indian Institute of Panchkarma Cheruthurthy 679531, kerala, India, Ayurvaidyan, vol. 11(3), p- 164 to 167.
10. Anderson M. L., Tufik S., (2000), ‘Altered Sleep Behavioural pattern of Arthritic Rats’, Sleep Research online, vol. 3(4), p- 161 to 167.
11. Bhatnagar A. S., Hemavathy J., Gopala Krishna A. G., (2013), ‘Development of a rapid method for determination of lignans content in sesame oil’, Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 52(1), DOI 10.1007/s13197-013-1012-0.
12. ICH guidelines
13. Bodhisattwa Maiti, BP Nagori, Rambir Singh (2011), ‘Recent trends in herbal drugs: a review’, International Journal of Drug Research and Technology, 1,(1), 17-25.
14. Rambir, Singh (2019).’ Medicinal plants used in the treatment of kidney, urinary and gallstone (renal stone and herbal treatment): a review’, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Medicinal Plants,2,(1),01-09.